Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Generation Within!

Note: This article is about publishing W.A.Y.S. a college magazine, and about those people who worked for it.

"Desire is relative, Iv seen changing them into passion for some and for others it plain dries up being just another kind of a dream... A dream which never meets its reality. But when it turns into passion, it turns in to be your morpheous, it shapes you the way you should be and not the way you want to be. And in the whole process it finds what is your golden key...what is that one thing, that only you have and nobody else. Slowly, it makes you fall in love with yourself. "

Flashback :)

Someday in march, 2005

This was our first meeting, after a lot of commotion somehow all could make up for the time that was given we were four from the first year and rest all our seniors, although we all were pretty uncomfortable with all that was going on, I was on the better side for atleast I was given something do (to list all that has to be done in the next meeting) than the rest of firsties who were just suppose to sit and listen. Anyway as it went, I could hardly find anything worth "interesting" that would make me work for W.A.Y.S., my college editorial board.

somehow as days passed we(the firsties) were being called at ungodly hours to do the errands, write fix and match stuff such as one liners, fillers and all that was not important or which people hardly read. We hardly being selected, somehow realised that we were not so "important" in this league of people, who by some lable were tagged as elite. may be cz they could just make through campus selections or good B schools or may be they were the only worthwhile lot that our college had. anyway I wasnt sure off, untill the day arrived!

the day which fueld something in me...which lasts till date. something which for the first time made me realise that "may be" this is where I belong. On a sunday afternoon mid 3'0 clock i was being called up at the infamous "sky computers" where the so called Ed-board used to eat, sleep and drink. being that "faithfull" firstie i went running and slogging to reach at the exact time I was given. As I entered I could see two of my seniors looking morbidly into one PC which did something called as "typesetting" (had hardly heard of that word till then :)) as I walked in the scene went...

Adit sir: Debashree, WAYS ke liye poem likhni hai (have to write a poem for the mag) okay?

Debashree: Okay sir, il try and will give you

Adit sir (looking as if its normal) : Now, in ten minutes!

Debashree: what!!!now?? a poem? just like that?

..all looking weirdly at each other..

Any how I sat writing something, which even I wasnt sure of what it would turn out to be. and melting everything I had inside I wrote something which I was very proud off (thinking Iv masterd being an editor) proudly as I went showing it to my seniors.... the reply was...

"this is really bad, really really bad" with all the effort I could muster up, I sat again trying my so called writing skills at high....second try...another failure!

And then one amongst those two seniors comes and says something like this, "see we are all passionate about this thing. I hope you understand that. we work for it because we believe in it. and writing something for it means taking out that feeling which stays in all of us. so while you write, make sure you dont write it for yourself, write it for all of "us", write it for the edboard!"

I dont know what struck me that day, was it those words "writing it for the ed board" or was it the way that one of those eddies said it to me... Im still confused, but something in me was awakend. although W.A.Y.S. was not something created by me, neither I was a hardcore editor till then. But right in between those words and the way it was said I realised that one day I would want to have that same passion in me when I would talk about "ed-board". May be an Insignificant spark was born.

Years passed, from being a firstie... we four went to become thirdies. Where no more we were said to listen to something, we were asked of how would we like it to be. Where we did not work at ungodly hours because we were being called up, but we worked at those hours because rest all were occupied by our coachings, classes and all that stood important second to our magazine. Till then that small, insignificant spark did catch up being a fire in itself.

This was another evening at the "sky computers", the whole edboard was buzzing with something or the other as the mag was about to go for prints.... one of the then fourthies was jogging round the room, all to pacify his anxiety for the mag to go for prints...and then suddenly turning towards me speaks:

Prakhar sir: Debashree, we have to write an ending for our mag. something which would define evrything!

Debashree: (reading in mind "something which would define everything") Okay sir, Il try.

Once agian I was in a fix, to write something that has to be good and practically with no time to think...I took up one corner and for five seconds my brain was shutoff and I questioned "what if it would have been my magazine?" I got my answer, the same that I had the day when I was told to write "for the ed-board" and not just for me. I realised that this dream is just not mine, it was of somebody... it is of somebody and one day it will be mine. I wrote something and 2007 mag went for a roll....I could still see those tears of our then senior while that mag was being released. Something that made me realise that may be its time that the insignificant fire in me starts burning, so that one day I can feel and fathom the same.

Now, 26th april 2008

The time has come, that small fire was burning so bright that each passing day as our team worked, I could feel that same passion being shared by all four of us. Evry single night that boys of our team spent working at prints, Everysingle fight, heated arguments over articles and not meeting deadlines, differences over opinions, workloads, over the top fund raising crunch and not to forget working, working day in day out just for the sake that the fire that burns in all of us dosnt fades out, almost evry single damn thing that can happen in this world of publishing a magazine took over us. Working for mag went about being a synonym to sleeping and drinking...

I could feel the same commotion on the last days at the prints that I felt three years back on my first meeting, we forthies and two of the thirdies were working on the final stuffs, last moment editions, typesetting, coral draw mal functions, PC's getting over loaded and not working(almost dieing), few hot samosas, one big bottle of fanta( as Prateek dosnt take anything thats black ;)), laughing at Yash for his arbit nonsensical jokes, laughing at abhijeet and vivek for creating W.A.Y.S. 'incorporation', offering Almaas( the little boy at prints who was a dude at type setting) to drink from the same bottle of fanta as we were drinking......almost evrything that was a crap to the outer world was the last burning flame of the passion named Ed-board to me, yash, sonal and prateek. we were living its last, our desire to publish a magazine which was ignited by few of our seniors and slowly passed on to us had turned out to be a dream that was meeting its reality for the first time.

we were lucky for we could live our own dream, not many of us are that lucky. We were lucky for beyond all odds, WAYS 2008 was on roll.

One evening 7:30 pm GEC, as I and vivek( one of the thirdies) were waiting for some magazine work, I spoke something about how one should feel for mag...and while I was speaking...I realised that I was passing on the same passion that someone did to me....I was silently passing on the dream of W.A.Y.S. 2009 to the future of tomorrow.

The magazine still awating to be printed, today I realise that may be someday, four of us would be passionate in the same way for something else... I realised that may be Edboard was the best thing that could have happend to few us in the past four years. For its not me nor you, nor any one person who has made this reality, true to its name its we and you together that we have made it a success.

A success to awaken the sleeping generation in all of us!

P.s. Ed-Board 2004-2005 Adit Sharma sir, Ritwick sir, Nimkee mam

Ed-Board 2005-2006 Abhinav Sharma sir, Suniel sir, Vibhaas sir

Ed-Board 2006-2007 Prakhar sir, Kartikey sir, Shailja mam, Teena mam, Shweta mam

Ed- Board 2007-2008 Akshat, Debashree, Prateek, Sonal, Sania, Yash, Abhijeet, Devansh, Vivek, Poorna, Dhananjai, Kalyani, Abhilasha, Aditya, Ankit, Kartik, Shubha, Shruti, Navtej, Neelabh, Shashank, Rashmi, Ankita, Priyanka and all those who were a part of us!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the lucky one to post the 1'st comment for this coveted blog.....wow!!!! seriously...even if i say that i know how much efforts juhi and her team put in for this mag,,,,,that will be less....i rem saying her ,,,'its ur baby' and i know now that she really fought back for it as a mother for her child( remember the chancellor episode :D)....and not only juhi,,,her team also..kudos to u all

We all do have passion for sth,,, what matters is how far we carry it with us......:).....

Ysh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ysh said...

WAYS is the best thing to happen to me in UIT, And I know how much I have learnt..Of all the mistakes I made and & I learnt...But never was our faith shaken from the fact that we wanted it to be the best ever & the fastest.(& fastest it is as we finished this years' typesetting in 15 days-13th Apr- 27th Apr, as at exact a minute to 12 yesterday and just as clock passed 12, I and vivek said its swaha! we wont work today i.e. 28 Apr !! So at least in that respect- Fastest it is.)
I can go on and on ..we have so much to write about WAYS juhi...But it is going to be an unfogettable experience. Luck We are to have had this opportunity.No matter what fire and brimstone was required,Somehow it was done aginst all odds
jus wait for the print....

priya said...

our fire,
smthing which belongs to us...smthing which like other things can nt be taken away,would remain remain forever[:)]

it was a learning experience,and the bond between each of the edboard members( aprt from all fights we had...) is undefinable...kudos to each of us ,whose been smwhere smhow in neway related 2 it

samaranand's take said...

well expressed..the pangs and the journey of a mag writer..keep it up..jethu

Anonymous said...

Hats off to this amazing piece of writing. So well expressed that it makes the entire journey of four years run like a movie in ur head. All the emotions are covered in their true sense and one cud feel as if it all happed just yesterday!!

The transition which every ed board member undergoes from first yr till he becomes the boss in the 4th yr is expressed fully and moreover it serves as a source of motivation for us thirdies to continue this legacy and give our best next yr.

Eagerly waiting for the print and the CD too :)

Anonymous said...

Well this lady just talks and talks and talks about this thing called 'WAYS' and that im sure all of her famfrnds would knw :P sorry bacha to open up this secret .... icecream overload due :)
And probably thats the only reason that people beyond her 'ed-board' posting comments on this blog of hers, but what to say if any day you really wanna see that spark abt being passionate...talk to her abt this...and you'l just wonder what is ths WAYS stuff :D
Congratulations!

shashank dixit said...

very well written..when feelings are real,one can explain them as simply as you did......but i am very very upset with one thing

Unknown said...

A great blog written with great feelings !!!!!!!

Unknown said...

every beginning has an end but it is the path we take and the choices we make that determines the end. The end may be good , but we always think that we could have made it better. For me it is not the end which matters, instead it is the satifaction which one gets in justifying the hard work and creativity he/she has put in to defy that end is important.

After going through this amazing blog, i can feel the satisfaction that W.A.Y.S gives to each and everyone associated with it.

truly this blog has been written with deep sense of pride and emotions. This piece of writing simply defines the spark each one of us has within us.

cheerz to one and all, eagerly awaiting the final print ........

Anonymous said...

Rewind...flashback...total recall!

You have a memory tht wud put elephants to shame! Can see the fire, the passion. After reading the blog and comments by juniors, I am confident tht u've left a legacy tht wud last many many yrs!

adit 'sir'

PS: Hope u soon find something to be as passionate abt. I havnt!

vivek "Ulloo"Pandey said...

Here I am writing for a prestigious thing which happened exactly before one and half year in my life, thing which is now as important as my life ,my desire and this feeling I have seen in my seniors . I have seen a kind of craziness, that a person, unfortunetlly whose IIM dream got shattered due to sickness(who deserves to be an IIM student and definitely IIM has lost a prominent student) haven’t told anytime that he is preparing for anything else and only one thing have seen in his mind that one was magazine, very passionate, very concerned about deadline, everything he has done for completion of ways 2008 …and now two girls, whom I respect a lot they are not my seniors they are my tutor really I have learned a lot from her they have key role in the completion of ways 2008.what feeling I have for her and what feeling I have seen in her and what feeling have read in this blog have framed through some stanza of Hindi poem-

मैंने देखा दो लड़कियों में किसी चीज के लीये होड़ पड़ी है
मैंने देखा कैसे वो पागलपन की हर दीवार को तोड़ खड़ी है
चलने के लीये हमरे साथ ,बढ़ाने WAYS 2008 का प्रकाश
मैंने देखा कैसा साम्न्जश्य था उनमे ..
मैंने देखा हर प्रयाश के लीये कितनी उत्सुकता थी उनमे
वो चाहती थी पूरा करना हर प्रयाश ,नही था यहाँ तक की समय का भी उनको आभाष
चाहे सुबह के आठ बजे हो या रात के आठ बजे
हर पल एक ही उमंग थी उनकी आंखों में ऑउर वह आज सचाई बनकर उभर आई है .....


हमने सिखा उनसे की किस कदर करना है अपना काम ..
कैसे गुलाब होकर भी जंगल के कटीलें वृक्षों से निकल जाना है ..
पाकर अपनी संजीवनी को ....
we have got something which is not possible in any class through any conference or anywhere
and this is always right that
every ending has new beginning.
every memory has good ahead.
thanks mam for giving us this feeling really a very nice blog and thanks for responsibilities which you have given to us

Jitin Batra said...

Amazing write-up.. i really respect this feelng that u have towards ur magzine.. somehting that u did not start..but still have been associated with ... and with deep bonds... also reminds me of my college days...

Anonymous said...

Do i still need to write when so much has already been written...naah...never felt like reinventing the wheel, thats so unlike a WAYS member...isnt it...always ready to sweat it out for better and newer modes of operation and achieving greater success...cheers for our way, cheers for our path...destination...its a journey which starts and every year but never ends...and so be it.

Adi said...

koi chalta pad chinhon par.....koi padchinh banata hai.....
In our life many of us walk on the footprints created by someone but what about those who have created footprints to be followed.........???
they r(my senior eddies) the people who have gifted a chronicle legacy to us.........!!!!!
It was not a cup of tea to publish a creative artistic mag where managerial swords r hanging on the neck but they r the people who have flown their kites against the wind.
whenever i think about my seniors
these lines stuck in my mind...

Kuchh log the ki Waqt ke sanche me dhal gaye

Kuch log the ki waqt ke sanche badal gaye !


They have taught us many lessons of efforts n this troop have achieved it's destination with a remarkable n unforgettable journey.

finally WAYS comes to us with beautiful conception n indicating us to initiate a new era....!!!

Unknown said...

A few months back, i could have never imagined that in this college which was somewhat alien to me, i would feel so strongly about something so soon. Today as our magazine is almost complete, I cant help but think that i'v achieved something. although we 1st yrs havn't contributed much, still it gives me a lot of pride in thinking that OUR magazine WAYS will roll out any time.
The bonding which i already feel for my other ed-board members & my magazine is amazing specially after going thru that inspiring blog. I just want to say that our ed-board is a college within a college & it rocks BIG TIME!!! Thanks for making me a part of this
(at least for now).:)
Cheerz to all..........

Anonymous said...

I still wonder how can you guys be so passionate about things like college editorial board and stuffs. but no wonder, even i can feel after i read the whole blog and then the following comments.
you know, whenever you used to talk about your magazine. i used to be like oh god here she starts again :). but today im jealous of you, more after reading that so many others share the same passion. great work bacha!
as AD said :) you really have that spark.
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I have read this blog long back, but waited to see it before commenting.dont know if I should say it or not.But this years mag is really good.not that it has no errors it has and big ones.but along with those errors it reflects an unimaginable amount of effort That you all have put in for it.these four years somewhere the editorial board failed to make a connection.but this year with artciles such as "ode to an angel" and articles of frontiers have really touched us.
Good effort. congratulations.


No point writing my name as you wont know me. but be sure this is from someone who knows you very well :)

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Indrajoy,Yash,Sonal,Esener,Dhananjay,Aurnab,Shashank,Focused_kezia,Navtej,Adit sir,Vivek,Jitin,kartik,Aditya,Neelabh,Poonam and Anonymous.
thanx for ur read and comments

Keep blogging :)

Anonymous said...

Came across this blog accidently, brought all those wonderful memories back. Those late nights at skycomputers, a quick cold cheese sandwich at ABH, 'pleading' ppl to come to meetings... . I remember we(adit & I) used to joke that ‘we are bringing a revolution in this college’ :) and u have made sure that our enthusiasm didn’t go in vane.
-Ritwick

Anonymous said...

thanku ritwick sir....
:) your comment was well awaited
Thanx again

Oracle

Anonymous said...

there are people beyond this ed-board too my dear,
unfortunately you all fail to realise.