Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Long Time..

"What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all other people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you

- Life house (You & Me)"


This song, reminded a part of my life… and I am sure we all have shared plenty of such in ours. Sometimes music… novel or just a walk reminds you of an eternity… My pick… read it as you listen to the song : )“

Long back somebody told me over a phone call that he would want to meet me on a railway station. I thought that was crazy… Who would want to meet someone at a crazy railway platform where all probably you see are busy people running off and that too after 6 years!

But I did go, I went to meet him after so many years, after all my agitations and heartburn were at rest ... I went and sat in the bustling platform no 3 of a busy metro station and I waited... I waited

Long time…

----------

I waited to see a mom fidgeting her palms, sitting over a luggage for two and with every passing minute checking her wrist watch... Checking if the moments are passing by…

I waited to see two kids, holding hands and waiting alone at the far end of the platform with a pair of hollow eyes… watching every old man.. Shrugging at passers by offering them chocolates…

I waited to see, a girl of 30 wearing a deep neck thin blouse with dark red lipstick, checking out a pocket mirror and petite she sat cross with her trousered legs… and I wondered how easily all those walking around would label anything flamboyant with sleaze when I saw how men watched her…. Her anxious eyes were roaming with a bubbly with all the men who walked across with sky bags… some smiled … some winked…

I waited… to watch an old guy with his walking stick…almost leaning over the pillar and smoking a Marlboro… the chai wala behind ran up to offer him a tea… and with a bunch of newsletters under his arm… I saw the void in his search… a search for a life time….

I waited … to see “waiting” in all of them….

And then came a swoosh of cold December wind, a train from north came to a halt…
A split seconds that doors opened…

I could see a boy of 20 jumping off in his officer’s suit and crashing to hug his mom… closing a mothers wait... Thunder her heart beat… peace he sooths

And I see a man of 40 with lots of small packets de-boarding with a doll in his hand and worriedly gazing at anything running across… a sudden thud and two kids leaping all over him…. Tears in their eyes… tears in his eyes….

Far distance, a man in formals with a sky bag… watching a beautiful lady in red… waiting for him… thinking “does waiting enhances beauty?”... And as their eyes crossed.. That red lipstick… blushed her face with a hue of charm… and she just stood… watching him walk to her… turning every second into an eternity….

I see, an old lady with shivering legs, helping herself in a wheel chair… and just as she trips off… a man of 70 with a bunch of news papers and a smoke … Holds her hand and shares a smile…. A smile for an endless mile : )

--------

Probably… I waited … to feel the end of waiting,

And I knew why he wanted me to meet him on a railway station for the first time after so long…
After all what else could be a better place to believe in that tiny little space between meeting and departing…
my eyes filled with tears for knowing that he is still the same… who would have a reason for everything in life…. Those of the thinking sorts….

I just stood up and turned back …
to see him watching me and I smiled… could hardly say…

“Long time”

9 comments:

ganesh said...

This post will kindle all the wait'd memories of folks who read this post.
Good one Juhi !

Anonymous said...

A very nice article ... must say :)

samaranand's take said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
samaranand's take said...

The kaleidoscopic view of the Railway station,train and passengers is very well captured.
Thanks Juhi for the wonderful piece.
Jethu.

Bt said...

There is a beautiful piece of writing. Must say it touched my heart.

Oracle said...

Thanks Ganesh, Anonymous, Jethu and Bt for the comments... Thanks for the read.

bharat said...

Touching and Soothing :)...awesome piece of reading..Keep writing more :)

Indrajoy TBA- The Born Attitude said...

We do wait for few moments even if it seems to be miles away, it jst becomes a part of us, nicely written juhi

Oracle said...

Thanks Bharat & Indrajoy for your comments