Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Lifetime Of Serendipty....

“Note: for all those who haven’t seen the movie “the lake house”. It’s a movie about a beautiful house where time stops, where the owner of the house has the liberty to live with people from future and past. To some whom he hasn’t met. It’s a house where one person waits for years, just to find his love from future come to him at the lake house”




Have you seen The Lake house, it’s a movie about time lap, two people who love each other, but who live apart because of time. One lives in the year of 98 and the other in the year of 2000. But they finally meet when one waits for the other. I don’t know if anything like that exists, but every time I watch that movie I feel a connection, to what I’m still amused. May be that I believe in serendipity. May be that someday, I believe, that I’ll see the magic of abstract destiny.

It happened so many times with me, I’ve been places for the first time and I feel that I’ve been here before. And every time I try and explain it to somebody. I know their strange giggles behind their “it happens, sometimes”. Yes it does and how else can I explain that one has to believe in it to make it happen. On 30th of April this year, I was standing at the backside of my college building, vast lands of yellowed grasses and mountains all over. A small muddy road stretched between those grasses. Where, I don’t know, But as I was watching just the sky and the nothingness around. I had the feeling that may be someday I’ll come back, stand right at this place and watch the sky. I was frantically looking for one clue around that gave me this feeling. But guess I couldn’t find any, I wanted to walk that disheveled road that went behind somewhere and as I started to walk, I was called up

“Hey come back, we gotta go…baad me dekhlena(see it later)”

I turned back looking at my friend for a long time and I smiled. As I looked at that road, probably for the last time in my near future. I knew that I’ll come back. And I have no answer why.

Not this time, my old home, my school canteen, my best friend’s farmhouse, and the last metro station at Calcutta are all those places which gave me the same feeling. The feeling of serendipity as it gave me sheer happiness with no reason, that one feeling that maybe I’ll return here one day long after I’ve left this place. As was it with the lake house, few walls of glasses that separated time… I feel these places are separated from me with those invisible walls of glasses. I’ve read that sometimes the most insignificant person in your life is the most important one, and that you never really come to know unless you believe that each have some motive to be with you.



That summer I was traveling from my hometown to Bombay, the first time I was traveling alone. My friends dropped me to the station as my parents were at someplace else as they bid me goodbye I see an old man coming towards my coupe, he took his seat in front of me. Surprisingly there weren’t anybody else to share the rest three births. As the journey is long and me being a first timer, it took me sometime to be okay with traveling alone. Slowly I and uncle started talking; he told me how he traveled to far places when he was young, to his expeditions at various army bases where he was stationed as a medical officer. He told me how sun shines orange at rohtangpass and the same sun shines dull golden at the Calcutta docks. I smiled, for just like people of our age he was excited to tell me where he went what he did. He was excited to show me the world from his eyes. He told me how does Lake Geneva looks before the morning sun and more interestingly how does an aurora feel. I jumped up

“Aurora??? You have seen an aurora??”

And with dim eyes he said

“It’s not a thing to see kid; it’s a thing to feel”

I was super excited. As everything that he told was new and interesting to me. As time passed he took a small pic from his wallet in which he and his younger son were standing on a bark in between a lake. And proudly he said

“That’s Dal Lake where my son was posted few years back”

We kept on talking of things that I’ve never heard. Of things like why the Cambridge national park is so beautiful and how does in northern California, all park benches are a memorial to some or the other martyr. He told me that when u take a boat ride at lake placid and sail to its middle and sit there till middle of the night u see electric fishes gathering near your boat, just to make you believe that you are not alone.
I smiled again, all he said I had never heard before. We spoke till it was almost 11 in the night and then went to sleep for he was old and couldn’t sit anymore.
I lay awake and I dreamt of everything he has just told, suddenly I wished to see everything what he said…at that time it would have been just another fantasy dream of a teenaged girl…but till today, I dream of all those places, I dream of watching the constellation Orion right in the middle of an ice skating rink.
It was morning 7 and I’d just woken up with all the hustle around. Uncle was packing all his stuff, his station arrived … as I managed to open up my groggy eyes he said with a glint

“So kid, morning (typical army style)

I smiled and said “you leaving uncle?”

He stood with his baggage turned around and said

“Don’t forget to watch lake placid” and he de-boarded the train

I kept watching him through the window, his family came to receive him and he went. And I had the same feeling, feeling that iv known this person way before than yesterday.
Train moved and I kept thinking of all that he said.



I realized in those few hours, a complete stranger, way much older than me and whose name I hardly remember… made me realize that how much I would like to find park benches, how much I would love to travel.

How at eleven in the night, when the world was busy sleeping I met a person who gifted my dream of a life time.

And till today, whenever the day goes bad. Or something happens which I’d never wanted to. I dream the same dream, me sitting on a boat right in the middle of a lake with electric fishes around me…suddenly the water glows the colour of light blue, I look up and I see… the aurora. I see god turn on his lamp shed J

“That happens when god turns on his lamp shed” that was his definition to aurora with a grand smile.


There might be nobody waiting for me to meet him someday, there might be no more places where I’ll feel that I’ve been here before, there might be no more serendipities and there might be no another dream like that. But of all that I’ve experienced I’ve learnt that I’ll never stop believing in a magic.

May be someday someone will prove me right and make me believe that the very Lake Geneva is waiting for me. May be someday, long after I’ve left my hometown, I’ll come back to my college stand at the same place and watch the sky. May be someday I’ll get to see behind that invisible glass wall.

And how I wish, my life to be my lake house… where time stops, where magic comes true.


How I wish to meet a life time of serendipity.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

was just passing by

i felt really good. reading this :)
write more

Ayush

Anonymous said...

The time has to stop!!! It is meant to stop. Just leave one small thing in that lake house...even if it doesnt count much to you, and next time wen u come,,even if it takes yrs,you'll find it where u left it behind..

Anonymous said...

Is it not a feeling that you can't touch,can't praise to all, just feel it. We all hope for that day of serendipity for which even a lifetime is small ....

priya said...

:)
u r totaly gone!

samaranand's take said...

i have seen the movie..i understand how u feel about being in all the places...i seldom get transported to the places i visited long back,this gets triggered by may be a smell or a particular scene..excellent blog..keep up..

Anonymous said...

surprisingly you have touched a cord and what you have bloged evrybody feels it sometime or the other.you will have many experiences in future.

Vibha

Anonymous said...

Thanx Ayush,Indrajoy,'Priya',esener and Vibha for ur comments

keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss?,

You just amazing ya. I have been reading all your blogs for sometime now, even thought of writing to you but it didn't happen somehow. The way you put down those amazing feelings,, the description of the way you think about life and all those MAGIC..WOW! Its strange for me as I found your profile on Orkut, that time I really liked the way written in the about me section, you wouldn't believe there after I've tried to read that section every time you change it and almost all the time I have saved them... reading it again and again. Your blog of uncontrolled thoughts, looking beyond the veil of reality and yet so serene. You really have some depth ya. Anyways if I don't stop here. I will end up writing a book of praises for you.

Take Care & Keep Blogging.

P.S. Sorry I don't know your name? thats why Miss ?. :D pardon me for that.

- Abhee

Anonymous said...

Thabkyou "Abhee" for ur comment :)
keep blogging

A..B..H..E..E..... !! said...

My Pleasure :D

You keep writing, I will keep commenting and blogging ...bloggin- its a bit difficult for me, I am not even half good as you are. But I do try few things and put them together at one place:D and call it my blog(my thoughts) Often I m the only person who ends up reading them, after which I just laugh my gut out ki saala main try bhi kyon kar raha hoon...its fun ... Anyways me and own world of crazy things. But ya, you toh are really kool.

People who know you... I am damn sure ... addicted to your blogs and now I am the new entrant in that list ;).

You keep writing and I will keep commenting. Thanks for sharing all the lovely thots.

- Abhee

Jitin Batra said...

Exactly the same happens to me when I read ur blogs... it seems as if time has stopped and i will go on reading this post forever...
I haven't seen that movie yet, but will try to get hold of it soon...

Andthe feeling of living one night completely.. the way u want it. spendthe time watching the stars... he he he.. i have done it.. when i was away from home... working in a remote city... but still remembering each and everything that my friends said, my parents said when they last met me before leaving delhi.. :-)

A..B..H..E..E..... !! said...

Jitin....Dude get the DVD soon .... I watched the movie as soon as I read the post.... and then I read the post again ... and I got what Ms. Oracle wanted to say ... so true ...
"And how I wish, my life to be my lake house… where time stops, where magic comes true." ... I wish that happens ....

- Abhee

Anonymous said...

thanx for the comments

keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

One has to believe in it, to feel it.
its good that u believe. you may never knw when does it come true.
keep dreaming too

A..B..H..E..E..... !! said...

In this world, there are many people who have that strange visualization (the way Ms.Oracle sees them), but not all of them has the power to express them so magically in words. Somehow everyone who has read her blogs may relate to it as if that has already happened in their lives, coz life is all about people(you love, hate) and those moments with them.

Every time I read her articles, I can just imagine all those situations and all those feelings. Its so important to keep them alive in the craziness of day to day life.

In really minuscule moments of life you imagine how wonderful life can be, then you learn something and then you just wonder about the magic .... and that helps you smile :)

- Abhee

Eben Thomas said...

Well, I don’t understand what to comment. I am totally enthralled. It’s like standing before a beautifully painted wall and thinking ....Is there something more beautiful & gorgeous behind that wall? It’s like visualizing a particular object or incident more than its limits and its practical notions. And when you do that you get lost in the world of dreams.

Well you are of course an elegiac author in making. Good Work

Keep Blogging

Anonymous said...

thanku eben for ur comment...really after a long time :)

Unknown said...

Good work juhi.... i really liked it... keep it up.... - Eishita

Anonymous said...

thanku eishita for ur read :)

Anonymous said...

Once again you played magically with words......While reading I was on the boat watching the sky actually waiting for the God to turn on his Lamp.............

Beautiful!

Take us further into d magical world you know of....

Anonymous said...

thankyou poonam for the comment :)

Ishaan said...

wow nice it feels good to read about things u feel and usually think is it just me or does every1 feel the same the feeling of deja vu is so weird yet so beautiful as if god tired of seeing us nagging and gave us a poem to read to ourselves and ourselves alone...
Ishaan
www.ishsanity.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

thanku ishaan for ur comment
keep blogging
:)

mukund said...

well first things first that was an awesome thing you wrote. I mean it is really hard to pen down your feelings.I mean words arent there for such a good piece of writing. the skill is so mature and yet phrased so simply.I mean its uphoric.many a times it happens with people...they simply call it deja vu.but the thing is that this article teaches you to wait.it gives you hope and solace..keep up the good work my friend and do keep writing........

Anonymous said...

thanku mukund for ur comment
after a long time buddy :)

tc
Keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

a very good article.
keep it up

gautami

Anonymous said...

thank you gautami
sorry for the late reply, i saw ur comment just today

keep blogging
Oracle

Anonymous said...

nice nice!!

Rohan

Anonymous said...

thankyou rohan
a few more words wouldnt have killed u :)

Oracle

Unknown said...

U r too good..this is beatifully written..keep writing..u rock! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Mitu:
Simply awesome! am gonna watch this movie dfly... sometimes to visualizing strange things make u feel so good. While reading this blog i cud feel myself living that moment/place.

Keep writing... :)

Oracle said...

thankyou shweta and mitu for ur comments :)

ganesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ganesh said...

Awesome !!! Realistic one .. surely every one would have got a surprising factor in a train journey. U have potrayed it nicely .. Nature's beauty on water is always amazin .. never forgot to touch my feet in the beaches of chennai..the waves come n take the weight outta ma heart .. is'nt this the Buoyancy force ??? i loved every time i stepped in there.. and also the catamaron ride to the temples drowned inside mahabalipuram sea... floating in the middle of the sea by catching a rope ... all were awesome feeeling .. the silence in the beach,lake & park always admires me .. it did always..except on dec 26 ...hope we make nature better place to live :) nice one rockie !!!

Oracle said...

thanks...Ganesh
thanks a lot for the comment :)

Shibani. said...

Hi Juhi! Wonderful blog. Amazing. U write so good. Its easy to explain your feeling by saying to someone but jotting down the feelings is not that easy. You did that dear. when i was going through your blog i found myself in a dreamland. Good Dear. keep it up. Keep on writing such experiences . Lot to learn.